Food and Drink policy
It is our policy to provide children with healthy, balanced and nutritious meals, snacks and drinks.
Those responsible for the preparation and handling of food will be competent to do so.
Procedure (how we will put the statement into practice)
- Before a child is admitted we will obtain information about any special dietary requirements, preferences and food allergies, and any special health requirements.
- We will collect, record and act on information from parents about a child’s dietary needs.
- Where parents provide meals for their children to eat in our setting we will provide chilled storage for packed lunches and appropriate storage areas for other foodstuffs.
- We will also provide children with clean and age-appropriate crockery and eating utensils.
- We will respect the diversity of practice around mealtimes e.g. use of chopsticks or fingers for eating.
- We will provide children with healthy meals, snacks and drinks as appropriate and recommended by the Food Standards Agency literature.
- We will ensure fresh drinking water is available at all times, both in and outside my setting.
- As a provider of meals and snacks we are aware of our responsibilities under food hygiene legislation. This includes, if necessary, registration with the relevant Local Authority Environmental Health Department. If this is the case then we are happy to have my premises inspected by a food safety officer.
- We will ensure suitable sterilisation equipment for babies’ food.
- We will keep pets out of the food preparation area at all times. If a family pet does gain access to this area then we will ensure that all work surfaces and cooking utensils have been thoroughly cleaned before any food preparation or food handling takes place.
- Baby changing facilities will not be near food preparation areas.
- We will ensure that we, and everyone caring for children, as well as the children themselves, are aware of good hand washing procedures and how these are carried out.
- We will not undertake laundry during times of food preparation and we will ensure that any soiled clothing or detergents will not come into contact with food preparation areas.
- If there is an outbreak of food poisoning affecting two or more children looked after on my premises we will notify Ofsted as soon as possible but definitely within 14 days of the incident occurring in order to comply with regulations.
- We will keep all food receipts, including those under £10, so that if there is an outbreak of food poisoning on our premises we will be able to trace the outlet where the food was purchased.
- We have attended a food hygiene course on Food Safety in Catering - Level 2 in July 2013.
If there is anything in this policy that you are unclear about or unhappy with, please email us or contact us
Contact us today! or register your child with us.